Wednesday, November 10, 2004

It’s not censorship stupid

As many of you know, this site was deleted from the Blog Explosion rotation for offensive content. I'm not the only site that has been kicked off, but I think I took it better than many of the others.

This blog was so angry that it decided to start a boycott of BE. I found the boycott so ridiculous that I couldn't resist leaving a comment. I liked my comment so much that I felt I had to share it with my own readers. So here's what I wrote...

I think your boycott is stupid. I have 3 blogs. One was banned after an offensive post. Another was rejected outright for excessive profanity. The third was only accepted because it's just a lame photoblog. My sites were rejected, and I wish that they hadn't been, but I understand the reason they were. You have every right to launch a boycott, but I think it's stupid, and here's why.

Censorship is when someone prevents you from expressing yourself. No one has prevented you from expressing yourself. BE is a business, and they have decided that your content is not appropriate for their forum. That is their opinion, and they are entitled to it.

As you stated, BE tells you up front that they will not tolerate "offensive" content. Then you complain that they are the ones who define "offensive." Who else did you think was going to define it? Do you think that you should be able to decide for them? You complain that they "make it up as they go", but what else do you expect? BE hasn't been around that long, and they haven't had time to develop any such extensive guidelines.

You say your boycott is for "everyone who is concerned about free speech and maintaining the right to blog what we want." Yet no one has taken away your right to blog. Your blog is still here, it's just not listed on BE. In essence you are calling for the removal of BE's right to choose which blogs it includes in it's listings.

You are angry that BE allows sites that are full of advertisements and links. So what you are saying is that the types of sites you don't like should be banned. In other words, it's only censorship when it happens to you. Besides, BE does what they can to get rid of these sites. I rarely, if ever, see one when surfing through the listings.

You say the only benefit of BE is an artificially inflated hit count. If it is so useless, then why are you so upset that your site was banned? If it were useless, people would decide not to use it on their own without a boycott.

I think this is just a case of sour grapes. You liked BE just fine when you were using it, but when they took away your access to all that traffic you decided that it was crap to begin with.

9 Comments:

Blogger cleolove said...

Yeap, I'm with you on this one. Stupid. Sour Grapes. Grow up.

Blog on!

11:43 PM  
Blogger The Cunning Linguist said...

Yes, and what a witty retort he came back with. "Yawn. I was wondering when the defenders would show up."

Way to defend you actions and argue your case. Boy, such dedication to your cause makes me want to join up with you (for the 3 weeks you do it until you lose interest for the next item on your bitch list.)

He probably npent more time photoshopping the logo than he did using BE anyway. Free speech is one thing, but damn... just hit "Next Blog" if you want to check out different blogs so bad.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

That's it! I'm boycotting your blog now... okay, not really. I was just trying to get your goat. You do have a goat, right?

Like I always say "People Stink." It's not a popular sentiment, but I find it applies to most people.

9:43 PM  
Blogger DollyX said...

It's only a matter of time before my blog too is banned. I knew that going into it, so I'm milking it for all it's worth right now. When it happens, will I boycott? No. Why? It's not in my nature. What I will do is create a new blog, with a different URL and log in name. Then I may post something so terrible it will incite riots across the globe. Okay...mayb not. But a girl can dream.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goddamnit I hate this log into Blogger or be anonymous bullshit. I don't want to join them!

Anyway, I agree. It pisses me off when people bitch and moan about shit like this. Freedom of speech doesn't mean every other asshole in the world has to provide a forum and a megaphone for your dumb ideas. Personally, I think kicking off 'offensive' blogs is dumb. Who wants to see another fucking knitting blog?

I've been expecting to get kicked off of B.E. No luck yet....

a-[e]
http://home.earthlink.net/~anti-everything

4:25 PM  
Blogger Eden said...

Silly Blog Explosion. I like 'em just fine. They're gonna kick me off, but it'll take a few days, and in the meantime i hope to acquire at least a passing acquaintance with a few good blogs. It'll be all fine.

Thanks for comin' to see me, btw. You're kinda cute and crankyish. i like you already.

5:20 PM  
Blogger BlogCruiser said...

Very nice and well thought out post. They are in business and do set the rules. Live and let live but that doesn't mean I have to support what I don't want too.

A system like blogexplosion is far from difficult to set up. It takes could management to run it and keep it running well. However, if people really think that there is a need for something like this that has offensive posts then create one.

My guess if you have enough people considering a boycott which I think is ridiculous for this case. Think about starting a traffic site that only allows sites that maybe offensive. If the demand and need is there take advantage of it and create your own don't knock another system that is doing a good job.

Oh well off my tangent. That was a good blog there and thanks for stating your thoughts.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nicely written, Ed. don't ever shut up. ;)

-slurpee

12:41 AM  
Blogger lefty said...

i agree ed. starting a boycott of blog explosion is both idiotic and futile. also i think the guy deleted your comment from his site. ain't there no more. i posted one though.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home