Thursday, October 14, 2004

United Way is stupid.

So every year the United Way tries to extort money from millions of working class stiffs all over the country. And every year the company I work for gives out prizes to the idiots who give up part of their hard earned money to this so called charity. Of course my employer doesn't buy the prizes, they have them donated by other companies, that happen to be looking for an extra tax deduction.

While this annual collection plate passes around, I get these stupid E-mails to update me on how much money they have scammed, and which prizes they have given away. It usually looks something like this:

Our New Grand Total: $10,432!
Way to go, we've almost reached our goal!
Check out the great prizes we've given away!



So let me get this straight.

Donated by suckers who make $8 per hour: $10,432
Donated by gigantic multimillion dollar companies: Baseball Hat

5 Comments:

Blogger jessie lawrence said...

We have a "giving tree" that comes around during this time of the year at my office. I always give something to this, not for the tax return, but always in fear that if I don't, no one will.

BTW, thanks for swinging by my site via Blog Explosion. If you hadn't, I wouldn't be visiting. You've now got a link to your site on mine. www.grandtheftblogger.com

12:21 AM  
Blogger Mac said...

Er...so I'm not a big fan of companies putting pressure on employees to give to United Way. I think it's a stupid way to make people feel good about charitable giving and helping others. But don't get too down on United Way as an organization. They do an awful lot of good in this country, and make it possible for small nonprofits to have the funding to make a real difference in the lives of those who need help. No, really! *grin*

9:52 AM  
Blogger ShutUpEd said...

I would respond to your comment, but I have to clean the vomit off my keyboard.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Diva said...

Every year I mark my pledge card with the company "recommended" fair share donation amount per paycheck. Just after 1/1 each year, I then go into my on-line HR website and go to the "voluntary deductions", United Way, and $0.00 the amount.

7:51 PM  
Blogger boomerbag said...

Oh yeah, I worked at several United Way agencies. has bothered me to see the working poor donate their charitable dollars to decision makers that spend all their lives otherwise avoiding the working poor. Send your money to the charity you like and cut out the middlemen...they have some serious middles to feed, Folks. And I am so not talking about just "men's" middles either.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home