Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Death of the 40 hour work week

Overtime rules will change in August

The Government is getting ready to put a new set of rules that will regulate what kinds of employees will be eligible for overtime pay. Have you heard anything about this in the mainstream media? I know I haven’t.

I looked at the Department of Labor website and the rules look like they are open to a lot of interpretation. The only thing that is really clear is that anyone making less than $455 per week is still eligible for overtime pay for anything over 40 hours per week. The Bush Administration is playing it off as though it will only affect the wealthy. Considering how muddled the rules are I find that hard to believe.

The biggest criticism I’ve read about new rules is that nurses will no longer be legally entitled to overtime pay. Of course with the high demand for nurses most will probably be unaffected, but we’ll have to wait and see. The way I understand it, anyone who can be considered management will also no longer be legally entitled to overtime pay. It’s about time someone put that rich bastard who manages the McDonalds in his place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home